Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Last Blog

People Not Products
November 9, 2009

In Auckland, New Zealand, Colin Gibbs made a summing-up
"What we emphasize in education is generally what we get. When we emphasize achievement above all else, then we are likely to produce achievement above all else. High achievement is desirable. But at what cost? When education becomes focused on production — namely, evidence of demonstrable achievement — then we have lost what it means to be educated. Teaching and learning are not just about achievement or quality-assured products. They are about care, compassion, love, hope, joy, passion, grace, relationship, and more. They are about people and how we nurture and are nurtured on our ¬learning journeys."

I think this was one of my favorite articles. The truth of the matter is we are working with young children and there are two many facets to a child to box them into one way of doing things. Truly enough in our own lives what we focus on we will begin to head that way. As a parent, I feel, much of my time is spent keeping my children focused. Focused on good things, important goals, activities that will, frankly, keep them out of trouble. I want them to allow them to grow up with all opportunities open for them.

One day the child will be an adult. Looking at the child we need to futuristically see them as an adult. Would this be the best to run my classroom through this concept? Do I really need to spend so much time on this activity? What lessons should I spend time on? Is atmosphere more important than what I teach or say? Will they remember what I said or will they remember and model after my attitude toward life and learning?
I know I’m a director right now; however, I spend sometime every day with children, laughing. We have the most wonderful job in the world. Children in all there curiosity and beauty surround us everyday. I’m thankful for this. I want each child to feel accepted and loved….important in our environment.

Overlooking the class this semester; I can say I’ve been forced to relook at what I do. To reexamine and justify why and how I do things. I felt stretched at times…but it’s good for me. Our book was filled with solid practices for early childhood centers to have. Honestly, when I left work and began reading I felt like I was back at work. I should have done my reading during the day, haha like I have time to! Well anyway, the additional material was much more palatable for me to swallow. I really enjoyed seeing other sites and looking at people’s visions and dreams for ECE center come to life. Reading about other people with passion for this field was wonderful.

Reading people blogs opened up my eyes/ears to my fellow colleagues voices. Many of them felt the same as I did. Sometimes I felt they were reading my week. For instant; one blog “Susan Woods”, whom I’ve never met or spoke with, was talking about child care connection and how she felt frustrated/stressed with the changes. At that moment I could have written that blog (almost word for word) because I was feeling the same way.
Thank-you Jeanne for this class and thanks to all my classmates for reading my blogs and sharing you minds and hearts! We are connected in many ways because of our love for children.
Oh Jeanne I’m so excited for you and your baby!!! What a beautiful event happened this semester and we all were able to share your joy!

2 comments:

  1. It is great to have high expectations but there needs to be a balance. First of all they should be reasonable and reachable expectations. You are right, there is so much more to teaching than just work accomplished. Teaching children provides the adult with many pleasant experiences. Children have a way of unintentionally brightening up the day.
    It is great that you put so much thought into what is best for the children. It shows how much of their interest you have in mind. It is great that you make time for the children.
    This class has been great and has really got me thinking a lot about this field as well. There is so much more to it than many people think. Doing the blogs was a more fun way of getting assignments done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Judith,
    As a director, I think you have had an interesting perspective on both the readings and work of the course. You speak about your own reflective experience. I wonder what inspired you to reflect as a director and if you could create a list of guiding questions to inspire other directors, what would the list include....

    Thank you for good wishes :)

    Jeanne

    ReplyDelete