Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Developing a vision, mission and program evaluation

One obstacle an already existent school seeking to develop a vision must face is the complacence to just redefine who they already are. A vision must have action to create a higher quality program. Yes, it is good to understand your pre-existent philosophy, culture and values. But what we need to do is (dare I use the word) “dream” beyond it. To dream beyond financial restraints, to dream beyond short sighted teachers and dream to create something that might not exist at the moment. The Bible says, “Where there is no vision, the people perish: Proverbs 29:18”

Once an “unlimited” vision is cast, then it is easier to complete a program assessment plan. Everyone involved is able to clearly see the idealistic goal. Obviously there are financial restraint, facility restraints etc. Understanding our dream we can ask…”who are we?” Understanding the dream we can document; “what is our mission statement?” etc.
I wish I could find the “best” model for what I want my program to be, however, I have not. Closing my eyes and reflecting on my own thoughts is not adequate and much too limited…I need a team.

Re-reading our text book makes me feel back at work again, sitting in my office chair, or perusing our classrooms, cleaning bathrooms (yes, my job also) or counseling a parent/teacher/child. My hours are long and yet fulfilling.

I believe it takes a special “type” of person to do this job. A person who is intuitive by nature, accurate to details with the ability to lead and encourage.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Judith,
    Dreaming beyond -- this is an interesting way to think about creating a vision. The Identity reading (located in the resource section of Laulima) suggests ideas of rethinking. How might the authors of this reading respond to your blog posting? Further, you suggest a plan of action for dreaming beyond and administering -- I wonder if this sequence is the same for all schools and people. How might it change or develop based on the community?

    The Exchange talked about ece and harder economic times this past week. Do you think this article has relevance in your blog posting? What questions might emerge for you?

    Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! "To dream beyond" What a great way of thinking! I've been a preschool teacher for over 10 years and I have gone through times where I was sad because I was unable to do everything I had wanted to do because of what needed to be done. I don't work summers so that would be my time to "dream" and "create" and "do" what I had wanted to do during the year but couldn't. I keep a "Creative Idea Book" where I put pictures or ideas in so I don't forget. I guess you could say these are my dreams. I 100% agree that it's important to have a good working team. I know the difference and it's like night and day. With a good working team anything is possible and dreams can come true!

    ReplyDelete
  3. HI Judie:
    So true, it really takes a unique person to do such job. "ENCOURAGE" is an interesting term. As teachers we "encourage" children all day long, I think (and am smiling now) about how much I encourage each individual to strive to do better. I think encouraging is a valuable tool to have on our "tool belts". It should be the same for the administrators. Instead of criticizing, which is good if it is positive constructive criticism, but most of the time not, they should be encouraging the teaching staff to strive or dream big, for the sake of the children! By just reading your blogs, I see you probably encouraging not only the children in your center but also your staff. Without a staff that is happy, how can we have a happy classroom running? I believe, if the teaching staff is encouraged to do more or better, they will have less pilikia (the junk stuff, problems, resentment, etc.) resting on everyone's shoulders.
    Jan :0)

    ReplyDelete